Destiny
I believe that each of experience multiple lines of destiny. Some are smaller and less noticeable and others are so large you can't help but see (looking back of course) that you were at a serious fork in the road of your life.
Ira has 2 large ones - he made the Oakland University basketball team, broke his ankle, went into a depression, quit school, etc - all of this led to the army, marriage, family, and ultimately divorce. The other - he was drunk and stupid, slept with someone he shouldn't have and she purposely got pregnant (told him she was on the pill, but she wasn't). Now if he were to take different turns; stayed in school, never went to Texas, never slept his son's mother, where would his life be - better or worse? Frankly, I can't imagine much worse, but I am sure it's out there.
As for me, I am having a hard time coming up with any drastic destiny lines. You make decisions every day that could drastically effect your life - I could have stayed with my Dad for that year I lived with my Mom, I could have not quit cheerleading and got a scholarship somewhere, I could have not dated certain people and lived my life differently. But, would things be better or worse? Would I be happier or not? Frankly, my life is better than many and I can't complain at all. Is there some things I wish were different - you bet! But, since I don't know how things could have turned out and life is pretty good for me, I tend not to dwell on it. Now, if we could just turn back the time for Ira.
Wednesday August 16, 2006 - 10:39am (EDT)
===================================================================
Pogo addicts
I love when I get somebody else hooked on something I enjoy. Just look at all the Evanovich readers that have formed from my recommendation.
So, now it is Pogo. For Father's Day, Jason gave his Dad a 6 month subscription to Club Pogo. His Dad likes to play games online and I showed him some of the site one day, so we thought it would be fun to let him try it out for a few months and then pay for it if he wanted to continue. Well, let me tell you, I have him under my friends list and see him out there pretty regularly.
I just sent Ira a free two week pass yesterday and helped him get set up last night. He started playing my favorite game, Lottso, and next thing you knew one more game turned into three more games. This morning, it is 8:30 and guess what he is doing - he's already on Pogo.
It's always more fun to have someone share your addictions with.
Saturday August 12, 2006 - 08:38am (EDT)
===================================================================
The past week
The past week has been interesting and eventful...
First, I took Jason to Chicago for the first time and we had alot of fun. Saturday we shopped, had lunch, went to see the Chicago Fire take on DC United (Major Leagus Soccer teams for you non-soccer fans) and end in a tie. On Sunday, we went to Garrett's Popcorn and spent the day on Navy Pier. Jason has been working on a Favorite Things document and changed his favorite city from Indianapolis to Chicago.
Wednesday, Ira wanted to take the boat out and go fishing, but did not want to go alone. For the record, I do not fish, and even though my Dad has this boat for 11 years before I bought it, I have never been on it. With that said, Ira says, "do you want to go grab the rope?" Okay, I can do that (wrong!), by the time I get down the dock, the boat is already floating, I pulled th boat close to the dock with my foot and stepped on - huge mistake. Now, the boat is floating away with me on it and I have no keys. So, I jumped in the lake in my shorts, tank, and sweatshirt and swam the boat back to the dock. Now I am soaking wet and cursing the money I spent on the this boat. As, Ira comes back from parking the car, I notice we are taking in water. Ahhh, he forgot to put the plug in - great! So, now I am wet and we are carrying extra weight in water in the back, so the boat is sluggish. Fishing? He caught nothing. We get ready to go and I at least successfully backed the trailer down for Ira to put the boat on. But, I left my cell phone and book where I thought the would not get wet - wrong, again! By some miracle, my phone is actually working after drying out for two days. Needless to say, I am not in a huge hurry to go back out "fishing" again.
Up to today and our wonderful softball team. Let's face it we suck, we are the definition of suck. The games were cancelled due to rain, however, the weather was nice and the fields were in fine condition. So, due to the fact that our church actually has two teams, we decided on a scrimmage against the 4:00 team and the 5:00 team. The 5:00 team has also decided to take Jason as their catcher while Ira and I are on the 4:00 team. Now, our team has lost badly for three weeks in a row, so we figured here was a chance to at least have a close game - wrong a lot this week! The score - 7 to 20. The worst of it is, as nice as some of my hits have been they are either caught or thrown to 1st before I get there and I am fairly fast runner. So, I have not been on base this season yet and it kinda starting to bug me. However, not only was my 10 year old son on the team that just kicked our ass, but he actually got 2 runs with his little midget bat.
I think I get to actually miss next weeks game due to Jason's soccer tournament, now there is really a reason to thank God for.
Sunday July 30, 2006 - 08:37pm (EDT)
===================================================================
Surprise
Ira's Birthday party was a surprise and went off without any stitches. All the food was eaten, but I still have a lot of beer and smirnoff's left. We may have to have another party to get some of this alcohol consumed :-)
It was nice top just hang out with friends, laugh, and be stupid. I did not crawl out of bed until 1:15 on Sunday and it even took a few attempts to really get going. Okay, so I missed church, but I was at least feeling human by our 4:00 softball game. Oh well, those nights (outside of sales meetings) are few and far between. The morning after's always make me swear I will never drink again. Too bad I never actually listen to myself then.
Everyone had fun and nobody was hurt, therfore I deem it a success.
Monday July 10, 2006 - 02:14pm (EDT)
===================================================================
Birthday party
Ok, to do a little patting on my own back - I was told multiple times by Jason' friends and then later by Jason that I threw the best birthday party ever. Since his birthday is three days after Independence Day and it is in July, having a large birthday party is impossible. For a kids party at anywhere you pay for 10 kids, regardless if 10 kids show up or not. So, three years ago I came up with what has now become a three year tradition. Jason chooses 3 friends to take anywhere he chooses (within limits of course), we do the chosen activity, lunch, sleepover (where more friends can be invited), pizza, etc. And, when do we do this - in the middle of the week. I always take the week around the 4th as vacation anyway.
So, the last two years we have gone to Rolling Hills park and done the waterpark. This year, GameWorks for games, Rainforest Cafe for lunch, and shopping at Great Lakes Crossing. The funny part about this, is this is what Jason and I do once a year by ourselves, this year he just turned into his birthday party. He invited more friends over for the campout plus the two kids next door stayed over. They had tents, a camp fire, smores, the whole works.
Our only catastrophe is when in the middle of catching a football, one of his friends ran into the very large, and very sharp drainage pipe that runs under our driveway. After combat field dressing was applied by Ira and Jim, he was rushed off for stitches. 10 years and that is the first major accident we had, not too bad for a boys birthday party.
Needless to say, Jason could not keep his eyes open yesterday and may have slept through his actual birthday :-)
Well, now I just have Ira's birthday to get through, more later....
Saturday July 8, 2006 - 10:06am (EDT)
===================================================================
Home and vacation
Other than getting lost trying to get out of Indy and back to our hotel, all went well. I had good appointments, got some work done, and still had time to take the boys to Circle Centre Mall and an Indianapolis Indians baseball game. Okay, it was rained out after 3 1/2 innings, but we still had a good time.
Our time in Louisville was nice, I was able to spend time with cousins, and we went to Mammoth Cave. I still swear I am adopted. My stepbrother was the only person there that looked less like he belonged than I did. Everybody looked like a Francis, except me, I definitely have my Dad's side of the family on the appearance side. I spoke hardly 10 words to my sister, and dealt with her therapy dog going everywhere - even Mammoth Cave. Maybe since I don't quite understand the whole situation and frankly could care less, the dog became a bit of a nuisance. My family is great is small doses, that is the only way from keeping me sane.
I've been home for a week, did a lot of running trying to catch up some things from traveling so much, and helped car pool Jason and two of his friends to soccer camp. Now a week of vacation and doing stuff around the house to prepare for Jason's birthday sleepover. Of course, there will be relaxation too :-)
Monday July 3, 2006 - 11:50am (EDT)
===================================================================
Long lost blogger
Okay, I know, it's been awhile since I have posted anything. But, I have been busy. Adjusting to new job and pounding the pavement. Ending the soccer season and getting through tryouts for next season. Getting ready for a small vacation, birthdays, making time for dr appointments, etc. But, I am catching up - yahoo!! Today we finished up tryouts, 10 of us went to the lake and I inherited 4 of those kids for the late afternoon and evening. On top of our 3 this weekend we had 7 kids from the ages of 6 - 10. It was fun, we had hot dogs and popsicles along with minor wrestling and kicking injuries.
My note on Father's Day - NO TIME TO SHOP. I have at least 3 gifts to buy each year, Father's Day is tomorrow and I still have 3 gifts to buy. Fortunately, I don't plan on seeing any of them tomorrow and I can be a few days late. But, I am two weeks early on the boys birthdays - they are getting a basketball hoop. It is paid for, but still at Dick's Sporting Goods. Installation should be a treat on this one, but I have a serious problem spending $300 to have a $250 net installed. So, with the help of Home Depot we will try to install it ourselves.
Things left to do -
Install bball net / schedule vet appointment for cat / send out bday party invites for JT / send info to team parents for soccer mtg that I will not be at / call about vacation to Vegas this Fall / fix closet door / get crack in driveway fixed / fix pipe on sump pump, etc, etc. This year's vacation will be spent on housework and all of the appointments (dds, dr, eye) I could not fit into a Monday or Friday during the work week.
Watch for notes on my trip with the boys to Indianapolis and Louisville and JT's soccer camp at U of M.
Saturday June 17, 2006 - 09:42pm (EDT)
===================================================================
Something new
The worst part about beginning something new is the fear of the unknown, the starting over, the frustration as you try to re-learn everything.
The best part about beginning something new is the excitement of the unknown, the thrill of starting over, and all of the new things you learn.
Tuesday May 2, 2006 - 10:03pm (EDT)
===================================================================
4th grade bartering
My son called and asked my permission to trade a Pokemon Game Boy game that he does not play anymore for a football signed by the Green Bay Packers. What year? He doesn't know. Are they real signatures or stamps? All real signatures Mom. Uh-huh and his friends parents are actually going to let him trade that if it was legit. My bet - stamped on names and the ball was bought at the store just like that. I can't wait to actually see this ball.
It's nice to see that my precious 9 year old is expanding outside of sports card trading (not just baseball, but every sport) into a full enterprise. Don't even get me started on his EBay industry
Wouldn't life be great if we could barter like grade school children? I would like a new car for my old record collection. Or, how about some groceries for some homemade sweaters or blankets. Sure, life used to be like that until they created currency. Now everyone wants the might dollar instead of something else that someone is willing to part with. Except for those kids who make a minimal allowance for vaccuuming and taking care of trash - they have to be creative to upgrade their current belongings. I think the true lesson in this is that it will teach the kids that you don't always get what you think you are agreeing to (be careful what you spend your money on). Point in case, my son's friend has taken the next offer - instead of the Game Boy game, he is taking a Scooby Doo toy for the Green Bay Packers "signed" football. I will give Jason this - he is a hell of a negotiator.
Monday March 20, 2006 - 10:21pm (EST)
===================================================================
No more blahs
Somtimes we just hit those hard bumps in the road to maybe remind us that no matter how much we get ourselves down, that we are all okay and lucky in the broad spectrum of life. So, no more blahs, I am past them for now. It has been a great week, heading into a wonderful weekend.
Work is perking up, relationship is turning around, life is good !!
Friday February 17, 2006 - 06:20pm (EST)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment